Grate a Fels Naptha bar ($1.09):
Toss the grated Fels Naptha into 4 cups of hot tap water in a saucepan (I recommend a cheap saucepan dedicated to non-food purposes) and simmer it until the soap is completely melted and disolved.
Fill a 5-gallon bucket 1/2 full of hot tap water and add 1/2 cup of BORAX and 1 cup of WASHING SODA (different than baking soda although it is made by Arm and Hammer). Pour in the disolved Fels Naptha mixture and then fill the bucket the rest of the way full of hot tap water. The bucket picture was taken after I mixed the powders and the disolved Fels Naptha
in. I had not yet filled the bucket the rest of the way full of hot tap water.
According to the recipe I followed from the Duggar's website, this is still the CONCENTRATE!! I'm supposed to take from my (cute pink) 5-gallon bucket full and fill an old liquid laundry soap container half full of this soap mixture and then fill the other half with water. Then I just refill that container in that manner from my bucket whenever needed. So this recipe yields 10 gallons of the stuff. This should last me awhile and it cost about $2.00 for what I made. I'm off to wash a load. I'll let you know how I like it!
What to try first...should I give it something easy like towels or should I give it underwear right off the bat??


7 comments:
i have been thinking about doing this. i am very curious how you like it. i have been thinking about trying soap too.
A low cost, green eco friendly, healthy natural way to clean clothes is to make a homemade liquid cleaner from soapberry which grows on the Chinaberry tree and has been used for thousands of years. It works very effectively.
Definitely let us know how it turned out! I've been contemplating making it as well. P.S. LOVE the pink bucket.
I was just thinking today... "what am I going to do when we run out of laundry soap? It's expensive!" I kid you not. I wrote it down.. let me know if it works! Jen
Monica you inspire me! I should be inspired to try it myself, but I was just satisfied that I got our house cleaned today! I start coaching middle school swimming on Monday and I thought that it would be a good idea to clean the house so that while I'm not home much my husband can try to keep it up!! Yeah right :) Let me know how it turns out...I would stick with towels first :) :)
I am curious, too. Let us know if it is good stuff. With all the laundry I have been doing, this may be something to consider.
Hope to see you at our prayer time on the 18th.
Take care
Ohh, I've been tempted to try this since seeing the Duggars do it. I however do not have boatloads of teen daughters to do it, just a couple of preschool boys. If you can do it by yourself, I'm going to try it. Please update and tell us how you like it. Thanks so much for being the guinea duggar.
Post a Comment