Friday, January 4, 2008

Passing the time with various needles

No news on the adoption (just waiting for our referral) so I've been keeping myself busy with various needlecrafts.

For years I've wanted to learn to knit. So I've had probably half a dozen people (one every year or so) teach me to cast on and get started. Then I'd knit something in garter stitch without increasing or decreasing but wouldn't knit again for a year and so I'd forget again. (I actually knit a couple really cute baby sweaters with just squares and rectangles.) But this time I'm determined to really learn. I've done some tutorials online and checked out most of the knitting books from my library. If you live in my town and went to the library looking for knitting books and you wondered where they all are...I have them. They'll be back soon. Anyway, I've taught myself to cable, I can increase and decrease lots of different ways, I can knit a hat on circular needles and next I'm going to try a sweater. After I finish the scarf for Brad and the blanket for Eti (that's the nickname we call our soon-to-be adopted daughter rather than "our girl from Ethiopia" or "our child") that I'm working on.

Then there's emboidery. I'm making a quilt for Eti with cute little singing birds on curly branches embroidered all over it. Cute stuff. Maybe I'll post some pictures of it as I go.

And lastly, I've been sewing up some recycled wool longies for Georgia. These are full length diaper covers for her cloth diapers that I sew up using wool sweaters from thrift shops. If you've never heard of using wool for diaper covers you can find out more about it here. I get lambswool sweaters and they are super soft and not itchy at all. They are awesome and SO cute. Here's a picture:

4 comments:

Jessica Perberg said...

Very cute pants! I actually just learned to knit too over Christmas. like you I've started before but never got very far. My mom in law gave me Knifty Knitter which is a round loom and it's sooo easy to knit on it. I made a hat for Melat and a couple others and am hoping to make gifts for the nannies too. I'd love to see some of the stuff you make, you'll have to post those pics. Can't wait to hear about a referral for you too!!! :-)

Deanna said...

Those are very cool!

I started learning how to knit while waiting for Seth, and I need to pick up those needles again :)

Denise Bryant said...

I wish I knew how to knit... one day... We ARE (at least myself and Sarah) are planning on coming to the Super Bowl party, it will be fun to see everyone!

Deanna said...

Okay, so you deleted your post about the blogger templates, but I wanted to give you this link: http://www.finalsense.com/

There are all kinds of free blogger templates and instructions on how to change them.