So we've been in the house a year and half now and it's finally driving me crazy that we haven't painted to speak of. So this is the spring and summer of painting - I'm planning on doing as much as I can get to. The only rooms I won't be tackling are Georgia's room and the upstairs bathroom. Woah - that leaves a lot of rooms. Oh, and I just repainted the school room at the end of last summer but don't love the color so it's gonna get redone...but it's last in line.
Anyway, I went to a couple paint stores today and collected four or five hundred paint chips. Next I'll decide none of them are quite right and head back for two or three hundred more. Then I'll invest a small fortune in paint samples which I'll paint in multiple swatches all over all the rooms. Then we'll live with them for awhile while I question my poor color-blind husband (not really, but close!) fifteen times a day about which shade of green is more olive-y and which is more blue-ish. After 10 years of marriage and 8 years of painting walls I just know that's how I do it.
As I laid out maybe only a third of my selection of paint chips and color scheme booklets on the counter and started turning my gaze in his general direction, I saw a haze move across his eyes and I think I even heard Taps start playing in the background. He has given me full authority to pick our paint colors and he always loves what I do with the house. So why do I make him pick between two shades of green in which he can't see a difference? I guess this is my version of that thing women do where they come out wearing two different versions of a black heel and ask which one looks better and he points to one and then they make some weird noise and go with the pair he didn't pick. Maybe this time I'll try to do it differently. I love paint. I love picking paint. I love the actual putting on of the paint. He doesn't. So I'm going to give him the gift of just getting to enjoy the end result without having to pretend like he sees a difference between Longjohn Red and Hunting Coat Red. (Wait a minute...I do live in Michigan...aren't hunting coats supposed to be orange? Who wears red hunting coats?! )
Anyway, if you've got any all-time favorite paint colors that you think I should check out, let me know! I'll be heading back to the paint store again soon...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
I also love to paint but unfortunately Aaron doesn't always think I make the best choices. I've learned the hard way. I ultimately end up picking a paint color souly on it's name. It's kinda fun!
You have great taste, express yourself girl!
Have you tried Devine paint? www.devinecolor.com It comes in amazing colors and goes on like a dream. pretty expensive, but one coat truly does cover in most cases. Okay, now I sound like an advertisement, but I think you'd like it.
Jenn and I just used it when we repainted Nathan's roo..uh her office, and it was the most amazing painting experience of my life. Seriously, birds sang, I lost 5 pounds, and my childhood dog finally came home. It's that good!
Good Job! :)
Post a Comment