Thursday, March 22, 2007

Did I Point to You Enough?

So, many of you may know that I lead a babywearing group here in Holland. Babywearing is wearing your baby in a carrier (there are many, many kinds) and it is one of the components of attachment parenting. I've been doing this since last August and I think the biggest turnout I've had was 8 at one meeting and usually it's around 5 or 6. That's great and I've always been happy with that. New people steadily trickle in and I've felt like the group has really been helpful to quite a few people.

This Tuesday, 17 women showed up for the meeting. Yeah...seventeen woman and all their babies and kids. It was so awesome! They just kept coming and as I kept moving the circle of chairs out to make more room, I was praising God in my heart that so many women are so exited about mothering! They had so many questions and were so excited and I received a nice handful of emails after the group telling what a great time they had with the other moms and how helpful it was, etc. etc. I was so excited by the whole day, but yet I had a strange feeling of disappointment at the same time. As I was telling Brad about it I realized it's because I feel something lacking whenever I'm not directly pointing to God. And the babywearing group is not a Christian-based group. I miss Him and I miss talking about Him. I always feel a twinge of sadness when I don't open with prayer. God is my partner in parenting and it seems strange to talk about parenting without talking about Him.

I do feel that God has chosen this group for me in this season but I do sometimes wonder why. I've been touched lately by the lyrics of the Nichole Nordeman song "Legacy". She ponders about her time spent on on earth, as I do..."Did I point to You enough to make a mark on things?" I pray that even though I don't shout out my love for Jesus at these meetings, that people will still see me pointing to Him with my actions. I guess I should trust that the God who placed the stars in the heavens can make sure my actions speak as loudly as words, huh?!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Monica,
I told you last night I wanted to reply, but couldn't go into it then. As you are now well aware, we don't pray at game night. Just like you, this feels really out of the ordinary for me. However, what we are accomplishing is something that a couple ladies there didn't think would happen, and that is their hubbies are stepping foot into a church. These are men who feel ALL Christians are hypocritical...etc. So even though we aren't outwardly showing our faith...we are loving our neighbor as Jesus prophesied. We are welcoming and opening our arms and showing a form of Christianity these two gentlemen may never have seen. And through this I pray for them with hopes I will see them enter our doors some Sunday morning to receive Jesus himself.

You too are doing a ministry for these young moms. And through your examples and love these women too may come to know the Jesus we know!! You are sooo awesome!! Congrats on the turn out too...Jesus is truly there!!

Big hugs,
Melissa